Sunday, February 8, 2009

Valentine's Day Special Moment


Valentine's Day is Coming! February 14 is always a happy day for me. Not just because it is a Heart's Day but because it is the birthday of my princess, my sweet lady Ethel.
I reminisce the time back February 13, 1993 when we were at Manila. While watching the favorite TV back at home, the family members kept on joking that the baby will not have the same birthday with her cousin Jason, who is celebrating his birthday at February 14. But to our excitement, the next day at 4:00 am I suddenly felt the sudden pain of the cervical contractions which came in a five minute interval. We hurriedly walked to the nearest hospital which is the Chinese General Hospital. It is around 200 meters walking distance from our place.
At the hospital, the nurse on duty interviewed me first then after a while, told me to enter the Labor Room. Inside the Labor Room, I heard the cries, the voices and the moaning of the pregnant women feeling the pain of the contractions, who were all lying in bed waiting their turn to enter the Delivery Room. The intern nurses, the attendants, and the doctors come and go. They performed IE ( Internal Examination) which came in painful. I noticed my OB inside the room then she performed again another IE. She said that it was not fully dilated, then she hurriedly went out of the room.
The labor pains were so intense I can hardly bear it. I can count how many times I prayed the Lord's Prayer and the 26th Psalms. I started praying it at around 7 am when I noticed that many pregnant women enter the delivery room first. Every time the pain strikes, I prayed. It is the only way I remembered that can save me with such helpless situation. The pregnant women who entered the room last were bypassing me with my turn to enter the Delivery Room. It was around 11:00 am that I suddenly felt to throw out. I hurriedly stood up and before I knew it, I vomited on my way to the room's sink. The attendant was so mad at me at the moment. He took the mop and started mopping my dirt. Then I went back to my bed feeling tired.
At around 12 noon the doctor arrived. She performed the IE again and directed the nurse to bring me to the Delivery room. At last! after waiting for almost 8 hours. The last IE was extremely painful. How I wish it never happen at that moment. They placed me in bed and told me to raise and put my feet at the metal side of the bed. When they noticed that the baby was ready to go out, they told me to push hard. I push harder but the baby wont go out. I pushed again and again but then it was not successful. The OB told me that if the baby wont go out at the 7th long, hard push; then she can do nothing but to perform the Cesarean Operation. The last push was unsuccessful.
I heard the doctor directing the nurses to ready the materials for Cesarean Operation. Then suddenly she halted them and said " Let us try the forceps first". Then I saw the forceps that is really big. The nurse injected the pain reliever med. Then the OB inserted that big forceps in me. After a sudden strong pull, I fainted. I never even saw what my baby look like at that time. It was the last time I remembered that day. I woke up the day after feeling tired and weak.
It is really and unforgettable Valentine's Day. But every time I remember it, I always feel happy because I give birth to a healthy, beautiful girl and survived that 1993 Valentine's Day pain of giving birth. It is a very Special Moment because I give birth t my firstborn Ethel Grace and made me a complete mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment